I am so thankful that someone invented waterproof band aids, and that there is one big enough for my knee! I love being in the pool, if I could live in one I would. So, as you can imagine I've been swimming a lot since Thursday. Even though i "pay for it" when i get out of the water & later that night, its worth it My townhouse complex has a pool, my sister has a pool and I belong to Wheaton sports center which has the warm therapy pool! Pools everywhere!
Anywho... A few little updates on the kneeS after seeing orthopedics today. We shall start the left knee, the one that has the wound and I call Ethel. Yes, I name my knees. The wound looks good... Was told it will take a good 2-3 months for the rest to completely close. Yikes. But the days of bandage changes and gauze are over with and band aids are the new normal for the wound. Now, since I first fell back at end of April we have not been to adress how my knee was hurt. Then I fell again in may, and then we had the skin graft surgery SOOO NOW we were able to address issues with the knee. Now, I have been able to tell that things are not right with my left knee but didn't realize HOW BAD. Turns out ONTOP of arthritic changes, I have bad patella tendinitis AND a torn meniscus. Yup, which means surgery. (Cue the watery eyes in Mandy) Then, came time to talk about Norma, my right knee, which has given me no real issues until I fell. Turns out my scar tissues has broken up and is shifting in my knee, as well as there being some loose bone fragments. These pieces are rubbing, crackling and cause shifting. Also, that the synovial fluid around my joint is still greatly effected by RA and this irritates the scar tissue and fragments. The only way to fix that yup surgery (cue tears completely running down Mandy's cheeks). There is ALSO a possibility that I have cracked or slightly chipped a part of my my replacement but it isn't completely for sure, which this means surgery. (Cue full blown tears and sniffles from Mandy, which lead to a hug from doctor). SO NOW WHAT?! Seeing as those I was told that BOTH knees need surgery. I looked at my doctor and all full of tears and choked out to him, "I can't, Big mike, I just can't." Then sorta of had a "why me, I can't handle this, I can't catch a break" meltdown in the office...thankfully Big Mike and his nurse listened and calmed me down. Then we talked and put our heads together. Here's is what we came up with...
- I can not have any surgery on Ethel (left knee) until the wound is completely healed, which earliest would be three months - SOO we are NOT going to bring the "s" word up until then and we will revisit it then
- a cortisone injection was given in Ethel to help with pain
-holding off on MORE physical therapy bc I said I would do it on my own AND I was given the OK to go to the pool as often as I liked! Was also told I can ride a bike again! Yay! Anyone up for a ride on the tandem!
-there is nothing really but surgery that can help dear ole Norma the right knee, so we checked prescriptions I have here at home for pain, and I ordered new electrodes for my HWave Machine to just help manage pain & discomfort. RA sure has gotten the best of My knees! SOO... I have given myself a minimum of no surgery for three months and am ok with our game plan. I got hugs from everyone in the office and made my appointment for three months and left. I want to TRY to enjoy the rest of summer and establish some sort of routine and normalcy. I will swim and bike and walk as much as my diseased body will let me and I will TRY not to think about surgery on the knees for the next few months bc a lot can happen between then - especially when your name is Amanda Jane :)
Now, this is a side note... I know people want to help, I know people worry about me and care for me, but I would GREATLY appreciate it if you would NOT bring up my two falls and me falling. The "suggestions" I have been getting from people are NOT helpful. The "jokes" about me falling or how to stop me falling are NOT nice, actually have hurt my feelings and have gotten really old. Please trust me and that I have gone over every angle of my falls and how to prevent new falls from happening with MULTIPLE doctors that I see and I am doing everything in my power that I can so it does not happen again.
I can not thank you enough for all the prayers and many nice notes. They are greatly appreciated. Hope you all can enjoy the rest of the summer- it sure has just FLOWN BY!!!
Love to all
Mandy
No comments:
Post a Comment