Monday, July 23, 2012

Blood thinners

Back in May I had pulmonary emboli (blood clots) in both lungs and since then I have been on Coumadin a blood thinner. You know what? I HATE this medication. It's horrible. What makes it horrible is I have to go to the clinic and have my INR levels checked (this is a level they check in your blood that determines if your blood is too thick or too thin) well, I shouldnt be surprised but my INR level will not stay consistent at all! You should be between 2-3. If its lower than 2 than your blood is getting "too thick" higher than 3 means "too thin." there are certain foods rich in vitiam K thatcan effect your INR levels soooooo I'm not suppose to eat those right now(green veggies and leafy veggies). When my levels dip below 2, I need to "cover" myself so I don't get clots, which means I have to do lovenox injections - these shots HURT! The actual needle is small, so it's not the needle, it's the actual medicine that burns so bad after it goes in. You also can "bruise" at injection site... My oh my do you bruise! My stomach looks like a blue, purple and greenish watercolor! And it's soooooo tender. So, I have being on blood thinners! Not to mention you need to let everyone know you are on them in case you get cut or hurt. Blood thinners YOU are not my friend and I'm so thankful I only need to be on it for about a year and not for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment