On Monday night I had a sleep study done. I was suppose to have one done over a year ago, but cant remember why and never did it because it weirded me out too much. Well, with the pulmonary embolisms (blood clots) I was sort of told I had to by three different doctors. So - it was done. I was beyond anxious and nervous. I had no idea what to expect and thought it was weird. WELL... it was not that bad at all, and it really helped because i had such a wonderful technician named Michelle.
When you walked in the department this was the sign, because I got there at 8:45pm. It is VERY strange being in a medical building when everything is pretty much closed down. I was greeted by Michelle and she took me to my room. Which was pretty much like a hotel room - only there were video cameras and medical equipment in the room.
Here is the wonderful bathroom that was attached to the room. It came with this AWESOME smelling all natural soaps and stuff. Michelle was WONDERFUL and answered all my crazy questions and really put my nerves at ease and I felt much better after talking to her about how the night would be.
This is "view" looking out from the bathroom. On the bed are ALL the cords and pads that was going to be stuck onto me.
Here I am! It took Michelle an hour and 20 min to get all 36 sensors put on me. While she put them on we talked and had some pretty funny moments. Before each sensor was put on the skin was cleaned and then rubbed with what felt like medical sand paper and then stuck on. The ones on my face and hair had this funny SUPER sticky goope they used. It was very strange. Anywho, with talking to michelle i found she is in the process of trying to figure out some crazy health things of her own. Her doctors think she has addisons disease! so she was STUNNED to see and hear that I had it, since its so rare. I shared with her my journey with Addisons and how i got my diagnosis, the meds im on, the hospital and ER visits I have had. It was nice to share my struggles with someone who GOT IT and also to see how encouraged she was by how things were with me. It really was neat. I actually ended up praying with her before bed.
Well, after the sensors were put on I had to crawl in bed and they had to "test" things. I was asked to close my eyes, open my eyes, snort like a pig, pretend snore, wiggle my toes... the entire time I had to contain giggles I had. I then went to sleep...or at least tried too... It was extremly hard to fall asleep becuase I kept thinking someone is watching me, I wonder if I will wake up, i hope I dont pull off an cord, I hope my dogs are ok... so pretty much mind completly wandered. BUT evetntually I did fall asleep.
I was woken up at 5:00am by Michelle. She then took 20min to take EVERYTHING OFF me. The below picture is my face and hair - the weird medical goop did not agree with my skin! and my hair it felt like melted wax was poured it - i pretty much looked like a winner.! Overall, it was not that bad. Glad it is over - i get my "results" in about two weeks, we shall see what it says.


No comments:
Post a Comment