Well tomorrow at work my news is going public so I am now on here... Im taking another medical leave. Here is what I wrote in an email to family about it....
"I am not going to be returning to work for at least two months in order to start some new treatments (meaning as of today I am on another "medical leave" until February 1, 2012). Within the next week I will be starting Actemra Infusions. Actemra is another form of biologic, like Kineret, Enerbel and Humira, only instead of injection it is given though an IV. (more on actrema click here). My doctors and I have dicussed this form of treatment option over the past year, and quite often since the summer. We just feel as though now is the time to try to it. Before the infusion I will need some extra blood work done for baseline measurements and four days before the actual infusion I will stop my Kineret injections. There has been more joint "deviations" and damages that are present with my fingers, hands, wrists and feet. Starting again in January i will go back to occuptional therapy and to have ALL my splints readjusted, and I will also meet with a hand specialist/surgeon as well.
Why at least two months? With Actemra is given every month -meaning the medicine is in me that long as well. UNLIKE Kineret where it is every day. IF Actemra fails and does nothing for me, that means I have to go the rest of the month WITHOUT taking any other biologic to help with RA -not cool and a risk im taking. If try 1 fails then at month 2 we will UP the dosage to a higher amount and we will see what happens. BUT the hope is NEW MEDICINE will help!!!!"
It has been so hard not to be at work because I really love and enjoy it- however I need to do this. This week has also been a slow rising hell. I stopped Kineret and each day my body misses and misses my RA meds. Tomorrow is the infusion and I am nervous/anxious about it. I just hate being miserable like I am now and hate not knowing what to expect with all of this. Sooo.... Here we go...
Swollen, achy fingers are trying to cross for you. ;) Hoping it works!
ReplyDeleteLoving you from afar.
ReplyDeleteGood luck Mandy. I hope this is exactly what you need and that relief is in the near future.
ReplyDelete